27 August 2008

I Heart Seabiscuit!

I just need to make a quick comment on how much I still LOVE the movie Seabiscuit. I practically grew up at the racetrack, as my dad owned a few race horses when my sister and I were younger, and we'd always go to Canturbury, what seemed like every weekend, to watch our horses run and make bets. And I'd like to gloat a bit and say that I was DAMN good at picking horses! I always played it safe too, betting them to Show, so at least I'd make some money if they got first, second or third. Dad would place the bets for me though, as I was what... all of 12 years old? Hehe!

Anyway, I recall wining like, 50 bucks one day! Or maybe it was 10, and it just seemed like a lot of money to me at the time. Plus, one time when my best bud Margaret came with us to watch our horses run, he ended up wining! What a rush that was... I could barely see over the fence, but me, my sister and Margaret were standing right at the fence on the grounds, cheering on our horse! It was a wonderful feeling to watch him race across the finish line in first place... I can't remember exactly which horse that was (Pip Style, maybe?), but I do remember getting to be in the winner's circle many times for photos. Even though our horses didn't always win, they rather enjoyed when dad would take my sister and I back to the stables to visit... they'd nip at dad all the time, but when Manda and I walked up to them, they'd bow their heads low to check us out.

Ah... memory lane is so much fun to visit! :)

No comments: