26 August 2008

America Has No Talent Anymore

I'll admit that I do watch some reality TV... one show (of two) is called America's Got Talent. I love seeing all the different contestants with their amazing abilities. However, in this third year, as I sit here and watch the top 10 contestants perform after missing a few of the pre-finale shows, I can't help but rush to my computer to blog about my absolute distaste for this year's participants. They passed through the most ridiculous acts, people with no talent, or talent that isn't worthy of having their own contract — nor a million dollars. I can't help but get the feeling that this show has inevitably, and finally, succumbed to the ratings conglomerate.

I was surprised to see who the finalists were after catching a few of the first episodes. Although I highly enjoy watching legitimate people sharing their gifts with this country, I can't stand the banter and pointless commentary of the three pitifully talentless judges, not to mention the useless host. I feel like the judges pass people through because the network pre-determines poor performers just for drama ratings, or people have mimicked other artists that are already out there, changing the style slightly, or they're either too embarrassed to tell little kids 'no' on TV. You can even tell, definitively, when one judge really doesn't like someone, but they were clearly told to pass them through!

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple really amazing people in the finale... but do you think one of them will win? Probably not... it'll either be the Stomp / Blue Man Group rip off, some weird creepy guy who thinks he's great at singing and performing, or the Britney Spears impersonator (he does really look like her, though!).

And if anyone is wondering what the other reality TV show I try to watch is, it's Last Comic Standing. It's like getting a huge, variety-filled comic show for free! :D

No comments: